Monday, November 13, 2006

Is that fresh basil I smell...

Some things you dont notice start to creep on you, slowly. Changes you can not identify. This is normal when moving to a new country, experiencing a new culture, and trying to make it mesh with all the baggage you have already come with.

It's almost like your suitcase, packed for a weekend trip... It started out so effecient, so small, neat and tidy... so compact and to the point, and then by Friday evening you are sitting on top squeezing just one more shoe, or pack of cards, or some other "vital" thing that you just can leave without... and it gets in, along with the vital 3rd pair of shorts and a dress "just in case you decide to go to a nice formal dinner"...

Today at lunch I notied some small changes that got shoved into me somehow. Actually it was the lunch itself. Not only did I have fresh pesto which I made myself in a small jar, but I was boiling water for pasta. At work. This would never have been an option for me in any other setting. And I found it totally normal. Looking around me it was all the same, from the Latin American man making chickpea soup with arugula, to the woman near me with polenta and tomato sauce.

And I relaized how this food culture has snuck and tucked itself snuggly inside me especially when I relaized, to my horror: I had no fresh fruit to finish off my meal!

No comments: