Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Just when you think you know what to expect

So I know I havent written, but I have been pretty busy and my life has taken quite a strange turn...

Let me back up

So a few months ago, my husband and I woke up at 5:30 am on a Saturday to take a test. The early morning hour was because my husband had to go to work shortly and we wanted to take the test before he had to leave. The test, as you may have guessed was a pregnancy test.

It was the stupidest test in the world, and we read the instructions 5 times. And yes, we were expecting.

Italy being what it is, I decided I would "hold off" seeing a doctor until the 8th week. Im serious, "HOLD OFF" is what I meant. In many places in the world they will not SEE you before the 8th week. Here I was aiming for 8.

In any case, it was not meant to be as for some (thank god it was nothing) complications, I went to see the doc at 6 weeks. And was yelled at. Well not yelled, but definitely reprimanded. Boy was I confused. But this is just the beginning.

So I go to get my first ultrasound and I strip, like any well-brought up lady would do. The tech comes and states, in Italian "c'e' due" (there are two). I was thinking "oh two screens, two centimeters, two something or the other" and disregarded the utterance. The next thing I know the doc says lets listen to the heartbeat. There is nothing in the world as shocking as the strong and fast heartbeat you hear the first time. Next he says "let us now hear the other"

Other??? Other what??

At this point my husband, who was in a more dignified state than I was, realizes what is happening and tries to enlighten me. Except in his excitement he confuses the word "twins" and "twice" and starts jumping up and down and screaming "twines".

Twines? I have twines? Is that dangerous???

And then I get it!

TWINS. We are expecting twins. We dont know the sexes yet, but are overwhelmed with just the idea.

So thats why I havent been writing. My world has been revolving around this and so instead of not posting (shame shame) I will post on things that relate to me. This may mean pregnancy related items, however I am sure that there will be more.

Life is never really what you expect it....

1 comment:

Chocolat said...

First of all good luck for your twins...I live in Rome , and I'm fascinated by your posts, it's so interesting to see your point of view. But I'm not 100% agree with all you wrote. People can be very warm, even if you don't know very well Italian language.Maybe you met the wrong people.What do you think about ?