So the elections are over... and the winner is (at least according to me) is no one... we all lost. Politics in Italy are complicated, really complicated, and for someone who loves politics, even after 3 years I can barely understand who is who and what they want. Let us just say it didnt take me long to figure out that racist parties are common and that no, Berlusconi would not (if I could vote) represent my beliefs.
However, due to bad managment and a too large coalition (consensus is not the best way to run a country) the left-leaning Prodi government was kciked out - leading us, yet again, to early elections. After living in the USA and watching the democratic party lose again and again, it became obvious that the left parties were making the same mistakes in Italy as they did in the USA (and in so many other countries I am sure). You can not, and never will, win an election if you are asking people to vote AGAINST something or soemone. People want to vote for who they believe can solve their problems, lead them to future, or solve traffic problems.
But why do right leaning politicians have such big characters? I mean look around - Berlusconi, Bush, Sarkozy... people are attracted to such things and consider it charisma...
The problem, I think, with politics today is that there is no more magic - no more wonder... I remember being excited about a certain party winning or not - there was belief in cahange, in a futue, there was an idealogy, principles... now we just hope that wars end, immigrants are not targeted, and people stop begging to pay for groceries...
Friday, May 16, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment